How to Find Tax Help for Free


IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS about tax filing, including available credits and deductions and how to fill out the new form to avoid a potential IRS audit, you may want to hire a tax preparer. But if you’re on a stringent budget, that’s not always an easy proposition. Fortunately, there are a variety of resources that can help you answer pressing tax questions and even offer a step-by-step guide to filing.

Here’s how to find free tax help:

  • Seek assistance from the IRS.
  • Solicit help from AARP.
  • Utilize the MilTax filing service.
  • Turn to trustworthy online tax-filing websites.

For more information on each free tax-filing resource, read on.

Seek Assistance From the IRS

The Internal Revenue Service has several programs and services worth checking out, including the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, the Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program and Taxpayer assistance centers.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. “Generally, this service is offered to those who make $55,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited-English-speaking taxpayers,” says Josh Trubow, a certified financial planner with Sensible Financial Planning in Waltham, Massachusetts. Trubow has volunteered with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, also known as VITA.

“Volunteers are provided training and must be certified by the IRS before helping provide tax-preparation services,” Trubow says. “Each location may have their own rules to qualify for this free service, so I recommend calling the closest location to confirm that you qualify. Appointments are also highly recommended – and may be required, depending on location,” he adds.

Trubow also highly recommends using VITA if you’ve previously overpaid for tax filing and can’t afford it. He says he often heard from people who had their taxes done for hundreds of dollars. “They were so happy to save that expense by using the free service we offered,” he says…..Read more>>